Tuesday, September 14, 2010

God is Greater Than Lyme--Gail Pallotta: Part 1

“Rick, look at that big red spot on my leg,” I said.

“I used to get those all the time when I cleared land to build houses. Don’t worry. It will go away,” my husband said.

That was five years ago. Rick and I were in Williamsburg, Virginia, on the trip we’d looked forward to for a year. I had a virus, but went anyway. In spite of the July heat we’d walked through the village. When I stayed awake shivering that night, and felt weak and nauseated, I attributed it to the hot sun and the virus.

It wasn’t until one month later, when we flew to Los Angeles, California, at our daughter’s request that I knew the lethargic feeling that had stayed with me since Williamsburg might be serious. Too tired to stand when we got off the plane, while we waited for the car we’d rented, I sat on top of my suitcase. After our sedan arrived, and we got to the hotel, I forced my feet to walk until I fell on my bed. But soon we left to eat.

At the restaurant I was so sick to my stomach I barely could get down my food. After we finished rather than go out and look around as we’d planned we all went back to the room, so I could lie down. A few hours later I developed severe indigestion. I’d brought along my peppermint tea, which I had used before for stomach problems, but when I took a sip of it, I started shaking uncontrollably. This went on all night.

The next morning Rick got us a flight home. I called a doctor and started a series of visits that lasted for one month. I told him about the red spot and said, “I think it’s possible that I’m sick from whatever bit me.”

He said, “I want to run tests.” While I waited for lab results I grew sicker and sicker. At night I started waking up every hour-and-a-half to two hours with something sweeping over me like a fever when I had the flu, then, racing inside, then shaking. I tried getting up to walk it off. I tried my peppermint tea. I tried taking Tylenol, which usually put me to sleep. Nothing worked, so I rolled up in a ball and lay in the bed waiting for the next onset.

My throat got so sore I asked the doctor if he’d give me a strep test. I thought for sure it would come back positive, he’d prescribe an antibiotic, and I’d get well. But the next time I saw him he breezed in the examining room and said, “Well, you don’t have strep throat. I’m going to take a bit more blood and run additional tests to screen for other illnesses.”

While I waited for these results by God’s grace I was able to cook, even though a meal that should have taken me a couple hours took two days, because I lacked enough energy to do it all at once. I wrote, but often had to stop before I finished a scene or a thought. I swam, but crept up and down the lane. I attended church and met some social obligations, even though I sat through many services and evenings too tired to concentrate and with horrible pains in my chest from constant indigestion. Just getting out of bed took all the spirit I could manage.

Eventually the doctor diagnosed Acid Reflux Disease and Diabetes. But, he dismissed them both saying, “You have something in your system, but we can’t identify it, so we can’t give you anything for it.” The impact of his words hit me like a boulder, but I said nothing. He stared at me compassionately for a moment. “You might be able to flush it out. Drink all the water you can hold, and no other beverages. Eat as little as you can to survive. Pick one or two foods that you like and stick with those. It might work.” I mentioned sweet potatoes. “That’s a good vegetable. Just be sure you eat a protein with them, because you have a blood sugar problem,” he said.

I came home, sat in the cricket rocking chair in the bedroom and thought, I’m not going to live. There’s no need going for another opinion. The same thing will show up in my blood no matter who takes it, and they don’t have anything for it. At this point I don’t think I was praying when I asked, What am I to do? But God answered. One thought popped into my head over and over, Call Dr. Lee. The last time I’d heard his name had been ten years earlier, and I only knew him as Dr. Lee. After a few phone calls I learned that he is Dr. David Lee and got his phone number. I also received a glowing recommendation for him.

While I was afraid of the unknown way of treating people and believed that nothing could be done, the will to survive won. I called and made an appointment for a consultation. When I walked into the lobby, I first noticed a sign that read “Be Still and Know That I Am God.” A peacefulness fell over me while I sat and listened to soothing music.

 Finally, I met Dr. Lee, a mild-mannered, soft-spoken man with resolve of steel in his dark eyes. He named some illnesses he’d treated, had one man there who gave a testimony, and explained that some patients only need a few visits while others require extensive programs. I agreed to return, and he scheduled a meeting with a bio-feedback specialist, Sally.

When I went back, the office staff and patients held hands and formed a prayer circle. Dr. Lee thanked God for his tools and the knowledge to use them to make people well. Afterward Sally, who has curly blonde hair, clear blue eyes and lots of love, ran a scan on a Spectra Vision. It’s a non-invasive test that records everything in the body on a computer screen. During the scan I had a Velcro strap, which was wired into the machine, wrapped around my ankle and a brass handle also connected to the machine to hold.

After we finished Sally printed out my results and left. Dr. Lee, who I now know almost never looks disturbed, rushed into the room with an alarmed expression. “You need everything I have.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“You have a very toxic, sticky substance in your system, but we’ll get it out. You’ll be all right.” He asked me to stand and moved a small, handheld device over me, leaving about an inch between it and my body. “This is a violet laser, a powerful light that will help you heal. And l-i-g-h-t stands for ‘Letting in God’s healing touch.’” When he finished, he handed me a few sheets of paper. “Your blood sugar appears way too high. The first thing we have to do is get it down. Do not stray from the Schwarzbein diet by even one gram.” He recommended a three-month program with Sally in addition to more laser treatments, footbaths and supplements. He said, “You can go the medical route, combine the therapies, or go only holistic. It’s your body, so it’s your choice.”

Part 2 Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read the rest of this! I'm on pins and needles!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.